Monday, May 29, 2006

Weakness Christianity

As I was reading Nathan Colquhoun's blog - Based on a True Story, he mentions this essay "Freedom from Quiet Time Guilt: The rare beauty of Weakness Christianity" by Greg Johnson, St. Louis Center for Christian Study.

I must say that I, too, have felt Quiet Time Guilt; almost since my first day of my Christian journey. The past few months, I have given myself the freedom to not do force myself not to do it if I don't want to. And I've been feeling pretty good. I don't think I'm defying God, I actually find myself praying more. Maybe not reading my Bible as much as people might think I should, but I'm definately connecting with God.

Here's a quote from the article that I thought was good:

There are two religions calling themselves evangelical Christianity today: Strength Christianity and Weakness Christianity. Strength Christianity is that religion which places both feet squarely on the Bible and proclaims, “I am strong. I sought the Lord. I’m a believer. I’ve turned away from sin. I read my Bible and pray every single day. I’m for God!” Weakness Christianity, by contrast, places both knees squarely on the Bible and says, “I am weak, but the Lord has sought me. I believe, but help now my unbelief. I fail and am broken by my continued sinfulness. Have mercy on me, Lord, and grant me favor, for apart from you I can do nothing.”

Technorati Tags:
, ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I move in and out of both types - both weakness and strength versions - depending on the day and how I have connected with God or not connected with God.

McDLT said...

Thanks for sharing mennonite pacifist.

Some days I too feel like I've got it all together and that being really proud of not being a bad person. Then something will happen to make me see what a jerk I've really been and see my weakness for what it is. Those are my good days, when I see God's grace face to face.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to this article.

McDLT said...

You're welcome Elaine.

By the way - what did you think of the article? Did you agree/disagree with it. Just curious and I love discussion ;-)