Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Halloween

Why do we "celebrate" Halloween? What's the point?

I've been rethinking my views on this. I don't "celebrate" it. My kids don't go trick or treating and we don't hand out candy. My famiy knows about Halloween and participates in activities in school (the school does not celebrate Halloween either - they have a weird and wacky day the Friday before).

Halloween scares me but not in the occultic sense. There is just too much pressure for the kids to have an awesome costume and to get as much candy as you can. It just seems way too greedy for me. Then at school the kids have to compare and rate how much candy they got (I also don't like this about Christmas either). How much candy is really good for you?

I'm also not too keen on young children being exposed to all the gore. I mean we have restrictions on movies, TV shows, video games, etc. but it's okay to display it on Halloween. I know my daughters don't like it and it bothers them.

I just don't get what the big deal is. Why can't we have fun parties - perhaps instead of calling them Halloween they can be about Autumn, Fall Festivals, Harvest time (maybe an extention of Thanksgiving?).

Anyway enough with my ranting. Just had to share some of my thoughts.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: