Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Valentine's Day

It's almost here - ughh. Now don't get me wrong, I like Valentine's Day. What I don't like is all the pressure but on guys to buy stuff for their women. And the disappointment if a woman doesn't receive any recognition on Valentine's Day. And then, of course, there are the multitude of people, especially women, who don't have a significant other to spend this romantic holiday with.

Personally I have learned to not expect much if anything on this day. I think I've gotten flowers, once on Valentine's Day, but I'm okay with that. I know I'm loved 365 days a year and most days he shows it.

Our girls are still young and so I try to focus on the main theme of the day - LOVE. We try to do something special for each other on this day. Usually we make/give cards for/to Daddy and each other and then we cook a special dinner and eat by candlelight. And we talk about how much we love each other.

I wish the focus was more on LOVE and less on "if you truly love me, you'll give me flowers, candy, and diamonds". Although if they were offered, I wouldn't turn them down. ;-)

Technorati Tags:
,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post has inspired me to make my '365 days/year love' manifest in buying my beautiful wife some flowers this Valentine's Day...

Anonymous said...

By the way... are you Mennonite Brethren?
I'm 'GC' Mennonite but I married MB. Ya, I know... I should be shunned... haha

McDLT said...

Yes MP I'm MB. And when you mentioned the shunning thing, it reminded me of a recent article in the MB Herald of how Rev. Isaac Thiessen along with some others helped remove that practice. Here's the link: http://www.mbherald.com/44/06/undoing.en.html

It's an interesting little read.