Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween Thoughts

All Saints Day is today. Yesterday was All Hallows Eve (Halloween) - another Christian celebration. I'm curious as to how everyone else celebrates All Saints Day and All Hallows Eve - so feel free to respond and let me know.

Here are some of my thoughts the day after Halloween.

My family doesn't "celebrate" the day like many others in North America. We go out to dinner and then to a friend's house to check out their giant pumpkin and eat their leftover treats.

We don't have many issues about the orgins of All Hallow's Eve - they are mainly Christian - mocking Satan and evil. My main problem has much to do about what it has become. It's all about the big scare; how bloody and gory can you make it.

When my oldest was younger (and to a degree now), she was very shy. In normal situations if someone said Hi (including close relatives) she would hide behind me and scream. So we decided not to tramatize her on Halloween when everything was made to be scary.

Another smaller issue is how expensive it's become - the costumes (while much better than when I was younger), the candy, the decorations (getting to be like Christmas :wink:).

The school my kids go to doesn't celebrate it - mostly because of the focus on scary and violent (they have a zero tolerance in regards to violence) and also because of the varying cultures which are in our neighbourhood. Instead it's orange and black day with wacky hair thrown in. Which is fun to see too. Halloween is talked about at school, some special treats, and stories read, but nothing violent or gory.

All of this to say we don't do Halloween because of today's climate not yesterday's. I just wish people wouldn't stare and give us those sad looks because my kids aren't getting to dress up (we have dress up clothes and they dress up all the time) or going out asking for candy. They get lots of candy and we even buy some after Halloween when it's on sale. They are not missing out on any sugar rushes and we know the candy is safe. (Sorry that sounded a little harsh, but sometimes it just gets annoying.)

I don't have any problems with others going out. Most kids look really cute all dressed up. Thanks for my little rant.


Technorati Tags:
,

No comments: