Thursday, July 06, 2006

Jesus was a Warmonger! huh?

Nota Bene: The Peacemaker and The Warmonger

I think the blogger here was trying to defend President George Bush's decision for going to war. I'm not really interested in commenting on the politics part.

In the piece the blogger, K. Geffert, says that "Jesus never, ever, taught 'peace on earth' apart from His Kingdom." and that "Jesus is the ultimate warmonger!"

This just floored me. I must say that her comments frustrated me, especially with my strong Anabaptist tendencies. I think a big part of my disagreement is that I view the Kingdom differently. It sounds like she believes that the Kingdom is still to come and I believe that Jesus has already started it here and it continues to grow and when He returns it will become perfect.

Jesus never picked up a sword or tried to force his views on anyone. The conflict comes when some people get what Jesus is saying and others don't. We are to love our neighbours (that includes are loving our enemies as ourselves and treating others the way we want to be treated). Not sure how that constitutes warmongering.

Anyway I could go on and on but I also want to know what others think too. What do you think?

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

No comments: